Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Poppin' Pastels

This technique is a blast from the past for me.   Probably for a lot of other stampers too!  It is called Poppin' Pastels and it uses versamark and chalk to create really soft and pretty colors.  I made a card like this so many years ago. I found it in with my "Lovely as a Tree" samples.  Lovely as a Tree is also a blast from the past.  It is one of the first stamp sets I ever purchased, long before becoming a demonstrator.   I decided I would do this technique again with some updated colors.  For this card I used Cajun Craze for the base, and Early Espresso as the accent.  More Mustard, Cajun Craze and Always Artichoke are the chalk colors.  The first thing you do is stamp your images in versamark ink.  Versamark is clear and slightly sticky.  It is used for embossing with embossing powder, and for pastels/chalk.   I took a picture of this step, but as the ink is clear, it was silly to post it :)   Next you add some chalk to a sponge dauber.  I used More Mustard first.   The image starts to appear in the chalk.  Its really fun to see the first time you do this technique.  Next I added Cajun Craze, followed by Always Artichoke.  The greeting
is stamped in a new set called "Hand-Penned Holidays".  This set is just beautiful.  It comes with four sentiments,  "With Love", "Merry Christmas", "Give Thanks" and "Happy Halloween".   I used Give Thanks on this card.   I added some ink distressing to the edges of the
main image piece by sponging on some Early Espresso ink.   I also added some 1/8 taffeta ribbon in Early Espresso, as well as an Early Espresso button.    The bottom card here is another variation, using a different sentiment, that I thought would work for fall birthdays.  Masculine Fall Birthdays? Those of you who have read my blog before know that I have a problem making masculine cards :)   I am trying to remember to make them every once and a while because when ever I need one, I don't have one on hand, and I usually find out I need one at the last minute and don't have time to make one.

 I hope you enjoyed my Blast from the past technique and stamp set.  Even though it is one of my oldest stamp sets, Lovely as a Tree is still one of my favorites!  This last picture is one of my sponges and daubers.  I found this storage container at the container store and love it!!  no more accidentally getting pinkish red colors when I want true red.  I can store my sponges by color and know exactly which is which.  Funny how I like to have a very organized craft room, but my linen closets and pantry are a mess!  Thanks for stopping by!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!