Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Corner Punch Cross

A stamper friend of mine, Lois Allen, showed me how to make a cross using the Scallop Trim Corner Punch and the straight Scallop Trim Border Punch.  I love the look of this! I have a lot of pictures to show how to do it, so sorry, but I think that pictures are easier than words in this case :)


You start with a piece of thin paper, I used Designer Series Paper, Card Stock is too thick.  My piece measures 4 1/4 by 3.  Fold the piece in half lengthwise, then fold a flap down at 1 3/4 inches.  Punch out the corner of the folded side, this is hard, you need to give it a lot of umph!
This is what you get so far.  Pretty cool huh?  Next you need to fold it in half again, but not that top flap, just the lengthwise fold.  Use your straight Scallop Trim Border Punch to add two more scallops to the bottom of the cross. 
Now you have your cross.  Love it!  We played around with doing this with only the Straight Scallop Trim Border punch, and that works too, but then you don't get the pointy ends to the top and sides of the cross. 
I decorated the cross with some pastel flowers.  This has a lot of pictures too.  I wanted the flowers to have a softer look, so I made them look light and feathery by separating the layers of card stock. 
First, I punched out flowers with the Boho Blossom Punch.  Next I rolled the flowers up in a ball and sprayed them with the stamping mist that I have sitting on my desk.  You can spray with water, too.  I then opened up the rolled up flowers, looking for an area that is coming apart.  Tear the paper apart carefully.  Now your one flower, has become two!

See how pretty the separated ones are!  They give the flowers a completely different look.  Yesterday's project used the flowers as is, and I liked that look too.  I like that you can get a different feel from the same product.   I sponged the edges of the flowers with matching ink so that when the flowers are layered, you can see the petal details.  I glued them together with tombo multi purpose glue, and added a pearl to their centers.
I wanted the cross to stand off the background, so I used dimensionals to pop it up.  I sort of used a lot of them because of the folded paper, it wanted to fold in and I wanted it to stay up.  I layered the cross on some Crumb Cake that I embossed with the Tulip Frame Embossing Folder.  To make the Embossing really show up, I used a sponge to add some ink to the raised image.
The Happy Easter tag is from Teeny Tiny Wishes.  I made the tags with a scrap of paper, and attached them with a vintage trinket safety pin.  The ribbon is Baja Breeze Seam Binding Ribbon.  I balled the ribbon up to give it a distressed look.
 I hope you like today's project!  Lots of steps but worth it in the end!
Thanks for stopping by!

7 comments:

  1. So very clever! And beautiful, too. Think the pictures are better than words would have been. Great job. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add that I saw you on Kim Score's Paper Punch Addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely Easter card. The little flowers add just the right touch of color to your cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE this card. Thanks so much for posting the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!