Monday, November 28, 2016

Santa's Sleigh Christmas card

Hi everyone!  Today I wanted to share a card that we made a week or so back at my Stamp Camp. It uses the Santa's Sleigh Framelits dies and I think that the dies are so great for cards and scrapbooks and so much more.  I can see these trees or reindeer on home decor projects as well.
There is a coordinating stamp set but I have to admit that I have used the dies many times and rarely with the stamp set.  Of course it's still nice to have the stamp set, you never know when you are going to want to use them both. If you buy them by January 3rd you get a discount when purchasing them together as a bundle.
This card uses some of the Fabulous Foil specialty paper. This is really pretty acetate with gold or silver patterns on top.  I went with all gold this time and I think it looks really pretty.  I kept with a neutral color scheme of Gold and Very Vanilla, with a tree in Shimmery White.  Shimmery White card stock has a pearl like color to it, not really white, not quite ivory, with a bit of a shimmer.
 The ribbon is a twill with a bit of gold threading down the center.









The card is made up with several framelits.  The main images, the reindeer, tree and star, are all from the Santa's Sleigh framelits.  I love these framelits, there is also a sleigh of course and it has the most beautiful overlay die that you can use for a super fancy sleigh, or just use the outline for a more simple sleigh. 
The "tis the season" is from a stamp set called Peaceful Pines.  I searced through my Christmas stamps to see what small sentiments I  had.  This one worked nicely in the space.




  I have a tip for saving some of your Gold Foil paper when making cards such as this.  I needed to cut for 12 people at my stamp camp and I was thinking about how I was using a lot of my pretty gold foil paper.  I almost decided not to use it as a frame around the Very Vanilla oval, but then I came up with this idea.  I put the reindeer and star right into the center of the oval die, and cut them all out at once.  This saved me on how many times I had to crank the Big Shot, but also on how much gold foil I needed.






The large oval is from the Layering Ovals collection.  The Very Vanilla oval is from the Stitches Shapes collection.  I did use a lot of dies from many sets and I don't usually like to do that because I don't want someone reproducing the card to need to buy so many different dies.  You could easily change the Stitched oval to a solid oval and only then need the Layering Ovals dies and not the Stitched Shapes.  That was my original plan, but then my Stitched Shapes framelits got delivered and I just had to use them right away.
Below you can see how the Vanilla oval completely cover the cut out reindeer.

I made a little video with some tips on putting this card together. Let me just say that this video is not one of my bests for sure!!  I had to do it several times and I either coughed or sneezed or knocked something over.  I had to re-cut pieces over and over.  Finally I felt that I had one that I could live with, I had made some mistakes that I could live with and may have left out a thing or two, but it was OK, then I sneezed!  I gave up! I decided to live with it.  I am only human right?  Hopefully you will laugh with me and not at me :)  
You can check out the video here.


And here are some more great projects using the Santa's Sleigh bundle from the Stampin' Up! catalog! 




Product List


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!