Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cardinal Bird House

I'm still making Christmas cards this week.  I am trying to get ready for my 'Christmas in July' class.  I think its been fun making snowmen and Christmas cards in the middle of this heat wave!  Today's project is actually a gift box.  It is one of my favorite box templates because it is so simple to make, and only uses one sheet of paper. Ive made it in many styles, but this is my first birdhouse.  I really wanted to do something with a cardinal, they are so pretty against the white snow.  The perfect Christmas bird!  The box base is made with Crumb Cake paper, and stamped with the "Woodgrain" background stamp.  I then made strips of scalloped paper in Early Espresso and used them as shingles on the roof.  The cardinal is made with the Bird Builder Punch, I punched out an extra wing to make the pointed cardinal head.  When I was this far along, I realized it didn't look like a Christmas project and so I added the snow to the top of the roof, and a wreath decoration.  Now it is a Christmas project!  But, it is also now a cumbersome project for a class (you know who you are, you who don't like all that gluing and sticky fingers, actually that's most of you ).   So, I'm not sure that this project will be done at class.  Ill have to see if I hear any feed back from people who plan to attend : )     The box is simple to do.  Its called a 2-5-7-10 box.  Score a sheet of cardstock along the 11 inch side at 2 inches, 5 inches, 7 inches, and 10 inches.  Turn the paper to the 8 1/2 inch side and score at 2 inches and 7 inches.    Cut the paper along the score lines like this.
note that the smaller flaps go on the bottom, the larger one is for the lid flap. The rest of the top gets cut off.  You can use ribbon or Velcro or magnets to secure the front flap in place.  I used Velcro on my bird house.  I use sticky strip to adhere my box, it is the strongest and I use it for all box/bag type things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!